Monday, February 28, 2011

Carrie B's Spicy Ricy Bean Sprouts


The inspiration for today's recipe comes to us thanks to my friend Carrie, who, upon reading last night's entry, asked if I could come up with something vegetarian. Now, I don't usually eat vegetarian food. I like meat, and it is hard to find foods that are filling, sit well on a shelf for a long time, and don't involve beans.

Here's my first attempt at a vegetarian-friendly lunch:

CARRIE B'S SPICY RICY BEAN SPROUTS


INGREDIENTS

  • 1 cup of instant rice (5 minutes on the stove top! Not instant by my calculations, but quick enough.)
  • 1 cup of water
  • 1/2 tsp minced garlic
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp oregano
  • 1/4 tsp cumin
  • 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 tsp soy sauce
  • canned bean sprouts as you see fit.

Here's how to make it:
  1. Put garlic and soy sauce into saucepan over medium heat. Shimmy it together until it smells amazing.
  2. Add 1 cup of water. Stir well. Make sure the soy sauce is evenly distributed through the water.
  3. Add oregano, cumin, ginger, and red pepper flakes, and stir well.
  4. Once water is boiling, add rice and bean sprouts, and again, mix well.
  5. Remove from heat, cover, and allow to sit covered off heat for five minutes.
  6. Fluff, eat, and enjoy the fact that you made vegan food with no chickpeas or mushrooms!


Okay, so this smells delicious, but I went skimpy on the spices since I have never cooked something with soy sauce in it as a major ingredient before, so we'll see how this is. Carrie, I apologise in advance if it is bland. YOU are not bland.

*NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM*

....And it is good! It is flavourful without being overwhelming, and spicy without being full of death. I'd give it a mild/medium on the salsa heat scale. Next time I make this, I'll add tomatoes, and I'll sauté the sprouts in butter first.

So, there you have it. A vegetarian (and the way I made it today, vegan) option that is delicious, somewhat nutritious, and easy to make!


Cheers,
Dominic

No comments:

Post a Comment